View Single Post
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 21:56   #12
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

I don't think the presence of the warning light is the issue and the stationary truck is only one possible scenario - yes you should always stay alert, but how many times have we been distracted and suddenly realised that the car in front has pulled up suddenly! Year ago I rear-ended an Austin Princess (got to be very careful how you phrase that!) at low speed because another car was trying to push ahead driving on a chevroned part of the road and I was trying to avoid him, and in doing so failed to notice the Princess had stopped - OK the accident was technically my fault but had I had the Volvo braking system then I wouldn't have hit the car - just too much going on in that moment.

As I see it, this system is an aid to driving - we all make mistakes every so often - it applies braking in such a situation without the reaction time needed by the driver - and if it reduces accident claims & keeps premiums down it can't be such a bad thing.

Agreed if people rely on this and therefore drive carelessly then they shouldn't be on the road - for years us Volvo drivers have been accused/stereotyped of driving badly because we know we're in our safety cells, but personally although I am fully aware of that fact, I'd rather not drive in a way that may lose me my licence, car or life...

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote