View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2022, 07:32   #15
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post
Thanks for the concern, but I'm not too bothered if I'm paying scrap value for the car.

I'm hoping that it has got alloy wheels, as I have steel ones on my 740. and there might be some other useful bits. If the welding is not too bad, then I might give it a birthday service with the ultra sonic cleaner, and change filters etc. It looks as if I could make a healthy profit doing that.

I'd also like to get up ro speed with my welding, and it could be a good vehicle to practice on. I need some hobbies now that I have retired.
Excellent attitude - the cheap 740 is probably just what you need as a retirement project. If you have the space, time and inclination to tackle welding and redecoration then this could be a really good project over the next 5-6 years, then it will be an historic vehicle and you would almost certainly be in the black.

I'm not sure about making a profit in the short term; old (but not yet historic) cars hardly ever do that. It might well be a very satisfying project for your retirement. Post some pictures and words as you progress - we all like project threads.

Alan