View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2022, 17:30   #44
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You highly underestimate Volvos engineering and parts quality ... Its not a "normal" car .. thats why you bought one right? Obviously a water pump failure is an engine wrecker so that is why they chose the very best components available on it .
I have been working on volvos professionally since before these water pumps were introduced in 1990 in the 960 , I have not heard of or seen one water pump failure irrespective of mileage .. These pumps continue on the current engines . The only water pumps I change are those non volvo ones which some back street garage fitted previously whilst throwing the perfectly good high quality volvo pump in the bin ! The non volvo pumps have a very short life span just like a "normal" car ....
Would the water pump not show signs before failing outright and wrecking the engine?

Maybe leak from the shaft seal or start whining from the bearings?

I'd hope it wouldn't be an engine wrecking scenario like a snapped belt.

As it happens I'm looking to change to an auto D5 but if I end up keeping the car for more than a year I'll consider getting the cambelt and water pump done again with genuine Volvo parts for peace of mind. I just thought that Gates were a well respected manufacturer of OEM quality parts so hadn't paid it much attention until you gave me something to worry about.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote