View Single Post
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 09:20   #155
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Dave’s diagnosis appears to be the first port of call BUT.
I cannot see it in your images but there may be what I term a “weep hole” on the underside of the water pump body under the internal shaft. I cannot remember now but it may be partly obscured by the pulley. My water pump started to leak from that hole due to some internal seals failing. It gradually increased until I replaced the water pump.
That's a very good point Ian but one of the things that led me to my conclusion is in one of the pics, you can actually "follow" a "clean path" from the visible drip to the point where i believe the hose is leaking.

That said i could still be wrong as although those photos are good, there is still the age-old thing that they may not have captured exactly how it is because of photo angle, refraction/reflection of light and so on.

The other option would be a bucket/bowl underneath, loosen the Jubilee clip and pull the hose off the water pump stub and inspect. If memory serves, there's enough length on that hose to cut 3/4" (20mm) off the end and refit after giving the stub a clean with Scotchbrite or similar to remove any limescale. Once refitted return the contents of the bucket/bowl (preferably through a filter so as to not introduce any dirt that may have been washed off the underside of the pump etc) to the expansion tank, run up to temperature and check.

PS...... Purely for technical interest, on my other beast the "tell-tale hole" as it is termed on that car is hidden but any leaks from it present as a leak of coolant from the crankshaft pulley. This means urgent renewal of the timing belt and water pump as it signifies the water pump will let go imminently which will throw the timing belt too. The timing belt interval is 96k on that and the water pump is a service item at 120k, the wise owner replaces both at 96k.

The shortest time/distance i've heard of from the leak being noticed to throwing the timing belt was 7 miles - i think the owner just hadn't noticed as it's usually a bit more but he was lucky and no valve-piston contact occurred.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Jul 30th, 2021 at 09:28. Reason: PS.....
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: