View Single Post
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 10:10   #18
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopedmick View Post
Not sure why there is so much discussion over this, it will be 100% ok, a lot of cars start life at one grade then dealer revises it later on, the vw pd engines started off at 10w40 semi synthetic for example, this revision in a lot of cases due to links with oil suppliers etc,if the car is under factory warranty then better stick to dealer service etc, the dealers have trading deals with certain oil companies etc, the dealers/garages are ONLY interested in the revenue generated in the workshop, after almost 30 years in the motor trade I can guarantee that is the case, servicing generates a regular revenue stream with the bonus of hitting you for the hard sell, brake discs, pads, suspension bushes etc which in most case would last a lot longer………
Mick most of what you say is correct regarding deals between suppliers and manufacturers but the crucial element isn't whether it's a particular brand of oil it's the grade that counts,

The PD engine came in various forms, all called PD but not the same engine at all, the 1.9's were generally inline and the later 2.0's were transverse and having had both in different models I can assure you they didn't even look similar,

As I've replied on this a few times I'll make this my final answer on the matter, if someone wants to use the wrong spec/grade oil so be it but I don't advise it as it goes deeper than a sales pitch no griping later when your cams and cranks sound like a drummer doing a bad solo because the bloke on a forum said it was ok, it's got a whole lot more complex since things got added to an engine that older ones of 20 years ago didn't require, you can put any oil in any engine but 5-30k later you'll know why you shouldn't have.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote