View Single Post
Old Jan 16th, 2022, 22:50   #20
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Just looked in the Volvo Handbook for my '98 V70 T5 Auto CD with the B5234T3 20 valve 240hp engine. It recommends SAE 10w-40 - ACEA A2/A3 (old standard) synthetic or semi for turbo engines.

Bob
As I wrote above, what conclusion can ever be drawn from this? Synth oils were coming in back then, and today they're common-place. If you could buy the oils of that era now, there's better, hence why would you?

I have no brand loyalty. Above is proper analysis, these I've done with various brands and they all say much the same. In short buy decent oil, and leave the filter in longer. 25K+. Synth helps stop the PCV clogging, more so if we tootle about and don't 'drive' , thus not enough 2-3 hr runs to burn off the crud.

And we've done the PCV 'big-pipe' mod anyway, that'd help a lot, or if we haven't - that'd be a far wiser place to focus attention. Aside from many other benefits, it'll lower oil consumption in the bargain.

These oil and tyre threads all read the same, subjective twaddle on which no conclusion can be drawn. With all fluids, the best is the fluid you're prepared to change the most. If you've not done all your fluids, do those first before mincing about over one brand, or another. When did we last flush our coolant and our brakes?

If you've been prepared to run dirty fluids in there now, the case for brand choice is lost. Why? - because, any old , "Cheap 'clean' slaughters, dirty 'premium' ".

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jan 16th, 2022 at 23:34.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote