Thread: Spare Tyre Poll
View Single Post
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 22:38   #216
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

A spare is a £400 advantage on a used car, buying the wheel & tool kit from the dealer afterwards is a big expense if you like me demand one, when I say demand I really mean it keeps me in my comfort zone,

If buying new it's silly not to pay the £150 for it then imo, only needs to be a space saver to get you home,

If you get stuck without one and the AA are hours away I can at your own risk suggest a fix,

Blowout, yer fluxed basically

Nail/screw in tyre tread, not wall, pull it out with a pair of pliers, if it resists or feels tight pull it about an inch out, now put some glue or sealant around the nail/screw and wind it back in, give it a few minutes and re-inflate the tyre, drive home slowly regardless of what type of road you are on,

If the nail/screw came out really loose remove and load another bigger screw/nail up with glue/sealant and screw that back into the hole,

If you have a flap, split, tear or whatever other description of cut or in the wall that tyre is toast anyway so a very slow crawl home can be attempted, and I mean slow like 5-10mph max, don't do what our ma did, drove on it like normal until the circular tyre became one long strip of rubber which then tore the front end off the car,

For this preventative measure you should carry, 1x needle nose pliers, 1x tube of Bostick Uhu or bathroom sealant (clear is best ;-) ) and an assortment of screws in varied sizes within reason, forget nails we want something that's going to torque into the hole easy, 1x Screwdriver of each flat & Phillips, 1x tyre inflator,

If you picked up a torx screw then also carrying one of those poundland kits might help,

I take no responsibility for anyone taking this advice, it's for extreme times when you are say on a dark country road and can't get help,

AND DRIVE SLOWLY!
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote