View Single Post
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 20:02   #6
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
All sorted!!!

I have a small area of rust around the top corner of the windscreen. The rust is also visible on the metal on the inside at the top of the A pillar.

I did use Capt Tolley’s creeping crack cure. It did stop 80% of the leak but some remained. As it works with capillary action there must have been a bit of an area it wasn’t reaching. I could see the Captain Tolley’s appear on the inside so it was working and being drawn into the leak. Perhaps a few more applications would have worked. However as I was going up to Derbyshire I wanted to be certain. So went fo the silicone as well.

The screen does not move when pushed from the inside so the bonding seems fine. However when water is sprayed on the outside it does appear on the inside of the car, it runs down the inside of the A pillar trim and into the footwell. It looks like the rust could possibly be right through under the windscreen adhesive.
As the car is fairly old and didn’t want the hassle of replacing the screen, and sorting the rust, I decided to use a silicone sealant.
There is a recess all around the screen on these cars so I masked up the screen and body and injected the silicon to totally fill the gap so the gap between the body and screen is now filled flush. I went around all the top and sides of the windscreen. Everything has now dried up and appears sorted.
I have treated the rust on the outside and inside as well. I used clear silicone so is not at all noticeable and looks neat.

Last edited by IainG; Mar 23rd, 2024 at 20:12.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post: