Thread: G/box: Auto AW70/71: - ATF: To Change Or Not To Change?
View Single Post
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 19:45   #10
TheHungriestBadger

Hope all of you are doing okay in this moment of temperature-related madness in the UK (36/37°C today, expected higher tomorrow). Just another quick update and I'm glad I have gone for it, still got 4L to go of my 12 originally purchased and I almost completely have 3rd gear hooking up as it should - tightening the kickdown cable a tad for slightly higher RPM shifts also seemed to help a little as well.

I believe my ATF was just incredibly dirty, as opposed to burnt, although it was pretty borderline as it definitely was slipping a little in third once up to temp prior to changing. In terms of a soft drink analogy: clean ATF = Vimto, my old ATF = Pepsi and then some (not sponsored, promise &#128513.

Hopefully, the next 4L will continue to yield improvements. I would definitely recommend changing in 4L batches from the outset though, as a 2L change seems to get 'swamped out' by the old dirty stuff and doesn't yield much improvement at all. For future readers: it goes without saying though that you shouldn't attempt to drain out 4L of ATF in one go because that will make the transmission run dry. Drain 2L, refill 2L, drain 2L, refill 2L, etc.

Finally, for anyone intending to drain ATF via the radiator return fitting, a 12mm (approx 1/2" but a bit thinner) inner diameter length of hose is a perfect fit; the diameter of the fitting including threads is 12.3mm. I would recommend a 2m (approx 6') length to be an ideal amount.
TheHungriestBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheHungriestBadger For This Useful Post: