Thread: V90 1997 £1100
View Single Post
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 10:28   #9
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderVolvo View Post
Yup, proper Volvo. I'd like to say I was in the market for one of these, yours looks a cracker. GLWS

https://www.gumtree.com/p/volvo/volv...ors/1402686058
Me, too! When the 745 that we had had for 18 years died five years ago, we looked high and low for a car like yours, Peter, and would have jumped at the chance. Unable to find one, we settled on a Phase 1 V70. And therein lies the problem. I could buy your car but would then have to part with my own; I strongly suspect that the majority of those on this forum would also be in the same boat. That, I think, is the main reason that your car has not sold on here.

Advertising on internet sites such as gumtree and ebay may elicit enquiries, but in my experience the general public do not appreciate cars such as ours and tend to see them as little more than gas-guzzling leviathans.

Reducing your asking price, while a generous gesture, is also, in my view an unnecessary one. For the reasons stated above, I do not think that the price is an issue, since, as others have said, I believe that your car is already underpriced.

I think if I were in the position that you now find yourself, I would advertise the car for a realistic sum (£1500(?)) on carandclassic, as people looking on there tend to be more 'clued up' than those scanning ebay looking for a set of cheap wheels.

Alternatively, and I note that you live in Norwich, you might also consider consigning the car to auction. East Anglia Auctions, in your area, seem to do well selling cars such as yours - I would not be surprised if they achieved £2000 for it on a good day, maybe even more.

As others have said, I wish you good fortune with the sale.

Regards, John.