View Single Post
Old May 30th, 2022, 18:39   #75
george57l
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
Not sure it's a case of 'can't be bothered'. Whilst more configuration options are certainly possible with software updates, and personally I would like to see more options, there will a (not inconsiderable cost) involved. Software has to be designed, developed, tested and maintained.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Car mfrs are way behind the curve and will eventually **** off enough punters to make them sit up and think, but it may be too late for some by then. The decline in the number of 20-somethings not even bothering to get a licence has helped the mfrs avoid the problem ...

... but people expect more from software these days. Until more of them adopt the attitude of "we are software companies that make cars" they will never 'get it'. It's one (of many) reasons why Tesla is so successful, for all that I hate them - they do at least seem to focus as much on the car's software as its manufacturing (and perhaps it shows in their manufacturing! Noted, as they are, for poor fit and finish).

That the local Volvo dealer still has no software expertise, or training, is just one aspect of this. (See also later posts in the thread about satnav, and changing specs and suppliers so functions previously relied on disappeared from later models.)

And for avoidance of doubt, I'm not talking about touch screens for controls (there's too much of that, it's too dangerous, and muscle memory and physical knobs and switches are far better for many functions) but about underlying functionality, customisation choices, intuitive menus and usability and so on.

(Maybe I need an /rant here)

;-)
george57l is offline   Reply With Quote