Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 21:33   #931
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I suspect as i've indicated further up Alan, if he'd put a sensible set of alloys on, the basic EFi conversion to miprove reliability and driveability and then used it to at least have some use from it and then sold it, he would firstly have got at least some of his moneysworth out of it, secondly been more likely to get a decent price and thirdly, most importantly would have had a more saleable car to start with!

It would have still looked near standard from the outside and also under the bonnet and those that "buy with their eyes" wouldn't have seen anything wildly amiss.

As things stand at the moment, i agree that £6k is about top-dollar for a 240 series unless it's really special but in fairness, we didn't get any special 240s here except the 1977 Jubilee model, 50 years of Volvo - not HRH Queen Elizabeth II but happened to be the same year.
You know Dave, I don't think any of those things would have been worthwhile, and if anything would have reduced the motor car's appeal and therefore value. I'm guessing the seller bought the car for about £3000 as a recommissioned but a bit rough car. He/she says it needed bodywork (and therefore paint) to the rear wheel arches - and he/she seems to have spent £1,200 on that - so far so good. At that point the car might have been worth £5,000 (and cost about £4,200).

The rest was entirely bogus. The market has shown there is no demand whatsoever for FI, special camshafts, £800 exhausts, bling wheels and boy racer tyres on a cooking Volvo 244 DL. Without the shill bidding the motor car might have made less than £5,000 - so the £6,000 of modifications limited the market and so probably lowered the price a bit.

From a personal point of view this has been an interesting observation regarding the RB project. I bought the motor car for about 2 grand and have spent just a grand on it (although that includes 2 sets of tyres, the single biggest ticket item at about £400). the motor car might be worth something like £4,000 to £5,000 now (although I can't think of any reason it would be for sale in my lifetime). That tells me I'm ahead of the game, and apart from tinkering (which will never stop) there is no point investing any more in the project beyond good maintenance.

:-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Sep 3rd, 2021 at 21:35. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: