View Single Post
Old Nov 21st, 2023, 21:29   #12
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPEMK View Post
Just a quick update ...
On Monday I called the dealer who fitted the last two belts, but they were unable to look / fit a new belt until Wednesday (initially they said Thursday) of this week. They were not able to help with a loan vehicle. I had to be back home 100 miles away on Monday, so waiting until then was not a practical solution.
I have attached a picture of the break in the belt. Looking elsewhere at the belt, there are two cracks in the edge which are a couple of mm long.
There was wear along both of the edges of the belt with some of cord visible.
The vehicle was recovered to a local workshop close to home on Monday afternoon and by mid-morning Tuesday, the engineer there had fitted a new belt. He gave the pulleys a clean bill of health but fitted a new tensioner out an abundance of caution. He also suggested that he would be willing to check the belt in three months time.
I have sent the belt and my comments to Volvo UK's Customer Services Team.
Be interesting if you get a reply of any help. The cost of these belts failing can be massive if they take the cambelt with them. In theory you have had 2 volvo technicians and an independent look at your car and fit a belt. I can’t see 3 people failing to find an issue with the belt drive on your car. I wouldn’t fit an aftermarket belt but I also won’t let a genuine one do more than 20k miles from what I can see

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote