View Single Post
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 08:48   #30
TomSaintJames

So that leaves the front silencer still attached to the car, which is this mornings job. The bolts are turning, but the nuts are turning too! So i'm cutting the bolts, one and a half down, and another one and a half to go - I want to preserve the downpipe junction, as I don;t plan on replacing the downpipe just now - it looks fine and I really don't fancy trying the downpipe to manifold bolts!

The new exhaust should be delivered to day too, I had a text to say it'll be between 10 and 11am, I leave for work at 10:30 so fingers crossed.

EDIT

Now all of the old exhaust is off the car, hooray!

Front silencer with the other part of the extension piece, note the knackered end!

I literally just had to smack this a couple of times with a hammer and peel the last bit off with the clawed end to cut through. Very weak metal.

Ready for the new exhaust!

Hopefully putting the new exhaust on will be significantly easier than removing the old! I had an idea last night that instead of getting an extension piece made, I could just use the standard exhaust and have a side exit somehwere just before the rear wheel - mounting one of the silencers might be a bit tricky, but the tailpipe could be guided to exit at the side rather than back, especially if it's cut slightly at the end. When the new exhaust arrives, i'll offer it up to see if it's possible - if it is it'll certainly be cheaper than getting an extension custom made! Also, it'll look really cool, and seems to be legal as long as it exits behind the front axle

Tom.

Last edited by TomSaintJames; Aug 28th, 2018 at 09:40.
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post: