View Single Post
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 08:45   #29
TomSaintJames

So yesterday was a reasonably productive day, first off, I had a look at the passenger’s door card - every time the passenger door was opened there was a risk of the door card being ripped off as the lower rear corner snagged on the door seal. I was pleasantly surprised on the quality of the door card and sensible way in which it's fixed to the door - way better than the crappy clips that other cars I’ve had use, which nearly always break on removal and the replacements never quite fit as well.

The lower plastic part (which is black on the passenger’s side interestingly, compared to blue on the drivers) that acts as the bin/pocket was only secured by two screws it turns out, and the door card itself was missing a couple of securing bits. It's my hope that this fixes the issue, and it's not the door being out of alignment.

Broken fixing points for lower plastic cover, some longer screws sorted this out.

All looks quite tidy in here; the door open light even works on this side!

Any ideas what this is for? It looks like the wires have been munched by a hungry window mechanism, I’m pretty sure all the electrical things work in the door, unless these are speaker wires? There are no speakers or head unit fitted.

Next, I started the exhaust, I really haven't been looking forward to this but cracked on with it nevertheless. I wanted to put the ramps at the front, but our drive is slightly sloped and because the car has been lowered a little bit, the ramps didn't clear the front bumper, so rather than taking it off the ramps went under the rear wheels - had to get my husband to sit in the boot as one wheel kept spinning!

I started at the back, the rear silencer came off relatively easily and that's about where anything of any ease finished!

I next started undoing all the fixings/joining clamps etc only to find that only half of the nuts would come off, after much swearing and knuckle bashing I resorted using a spanner attached to the nut and a hammer to ease off the nuts that would move, those that wouldn’t sheared off after this treatment which made life a bit easier!

The middle section was interesting, the extension part that fits between the front and middle silencer was an absolute masterpiece of bodgery, there were two sheets of thin metal wrapped around the exhaust with three jubilee clips and a large amount of fire gum/exhaust paste holding it all together! It started like this.

And finished like this. The metal was so thin, I just hot it with a hammer a couple of times to sever one half from the other.

I couldn’t get the part that goes above the real axle off, so I bent the middle silencer pipes and pulled the whole section forward, giving it all a good wiggle, leaving me with these off the car. Hooray!

It's difficult to see but there is going to be quite a lot of sweeping up to do, mud, exhaust paste, rust and bits of silencer innards are all over the drive!

A little pile of scrap, noting the sheet metal used to try and seal the completely busted extension piece.
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post: