View Single Post
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 16:45   #55
Pupbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM 855 T5R View Post
Gel plates, blue neon bulbs and a replacement head gasket all point to a hard life (yes, I'm sure there will be howls of protests from owners with gel plates and blue neon bulbs who don't drive the whole time with the right foot buried in the carpet but it's all suggestive and it's the sort of things when chasing the "right" classic car which should be taken into consideration). The Maxxis tyres also suggest that the owner was on a tight budget which then raises the question of how fastidiously the car was maintained and the owners priorities (use the money for bulbs and plates to buy proper Pirellis instead). All these things add up.
I'd expect cracking of the leather on the drivers seat and worn alcantara but the other seats (if the leather has been cared for) should be in good shape.
A respray is not a bad thing at all if its been done to the highest standards - i.e. glass and all seals out, all trim off, lights out, etc, etc. Nothing worse than spraying to edges as it invites future problems.
Does everything work, e.g. sunroof, aircon, seat recliners, mirrors, etc.? All electricals and mechanical items should function properly.
Did you dig into the diagnostics and check for fault codes? There should be none.
Given rarity and age, it'll be impossible to find the "perfect" Gul, but at £25K I'd expect it to be damned close.

John
Nail on the head there John. It's wrong to judge a car based on stereotypical indications of "Max Power" sort of stuff, and yes a tar & feathering is expected for those comments BUT you reiterated my thoughts. The new tyres were put on by the dealer, but I would expect a premium brand at the price point that is being asked for. Maxxis may be an up coming make but not something I personally would put on any of my performance cars.
I didn't get into all of the electrics, aircon etc. my mind was already made up after some basic prodding about and what was on show, so I wasn't going to waste time on incidentals. In truth its not a bad car at all, but I didn't get the right vibes and feeling which for me is a must to feel connected to a car that's not just an A to B chariot. At 25 years old its not going to be perfect, but then there should be signs of a genuine loving previous owner and I didn't see that lovin' in plain sight sadly.

My 2003 daily driver Impreza WRX Wagon is not a show queen, but its in damn good shape for its age and (in my opinion) shows it has/is looked after in a fastidious way despite being in daily service for going to work, going to the shops, tip runs and whatever is asked of it etc.

Last edited by Pupbelly; Aug 2nd, 2021 at 16:51.
Pupbelly is offline   Reply With Quote