View Single Post
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 13:33   #8
VroomVroomClonk

Thank you to everyone, I have read all of your responses several times to try and make sure I understand them all.

I have tried several Volvo main dealers for the genuine wishbones. Mill in Newcastle appears to now be Stoneacre, and it was them saying "Sorry there isn't any stock on these in the uk so it could take up to two months to get hold of", that I assumed meant they knew the stock level at all Volvo main dealers and it was zero.

Anyway, I definitely have the alloy version of the wishbones and I think I'm going to attempt the re-bushing option.

So, I don't have a hydraulic press, but 6 tonne versions seem to be available for about £90, and with a pair of new wishbones being about £330, I could justify buying a press just for this one job alone! However, do I actually need one? The Powerflex website says "POWERFLEX suspension bushes are designed, in general, to be fitted by a home mechanic without the necessity for special tools". Presumably they can't assume most home mechanics have a hydraulic press? Stuart says he fitted one bush using a hammer, although if I've understood correctly that the alloy casting was sanded out to be able to accomplish this, I'm slightly concerned that is required and not sure I'd be happy to judge the correct tightness of fit.
But how much force is required to fit the powerflex bushes? If I bought the scaffolding joiner shown in the video and shaped it to support the wishbone correctly, could I then press the bush in using a large vice? Or if I supported the wishbone on the scaffolding joiner on a large anvil, would I then be able to drift the bush in using a suitable sized socket and an club hammer?

Thank you all for your help on this, and your further thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated on my proposed approach.