View Single Post
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 23:02   #12
Element888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
Nobody is slagging you off. In theory it's a great idea, but changing your belts and tensioners when they're due is the best way to ensure that the aux belt doesn't snap and take out the timing belt.. £55 for a small piece of metal and a couple of screws is expensive, but if it was proven that it will definitely prevent the timing belt from getting taken out by a snapped aux belt, it would possibly be a good investment.
I will have to disagree on this. Changing your belts and tensioners will not protect you from this. Yes, I can proove this on my own engine. My belts, tensioners, alternator pulley were about 5k miles old - still alt belt snapped and took timing belt out.
I do agree - changing belts and tensioner will minimise chances of this happening, but will not exclude this. My theory is - either design of alt belt system/tension is wrong on D5 engines or this happens, when some dirt, small rocks get on belt and under tesioner, then belt snaps.
This extra protector will minimise changes of aux belt getting into timing belt area.
Also it will help if people use genuine Volvo belts. According to my Internet research Volvo belts tend to snap in one piece and just fall off. Other aftermarket belts for some reason snap in many pieces and tangle around timing belt. Again - this is not 100% proven.

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Mar 15th, 2016 at 13:24. Reason: Pictures Added
Element888 is offline   Reply With Quote