View Single Post
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 20:02   #2509
AlienInThisWorld

V70, 2015 build, D4 engine, Engine warning indication in July 2021, at 5.5 years old, 114,000 miles accompanied by a 'thrumming' engine tone (on the M5 whilst driving from Barnsley to Falmouth, with heavy rain howling down horizontally). The car was taken into Truro Motor Co who diagnosed a blocked EGR cooler and replaced it. Happy days.

Being a little student of cause and effect I asked the service reception staff what was the root cause of the problem, because I was concerned that my proclivity for driving in Eco+ mode might have something to do with it. They suggested to me that it might be better to let the engine rev more freely by using the 'Normal' or 'S' setting. I've been doing this ever since.

Then it started to unravel. Engine warning indication in December 2021, at 6 years old, 122,000 miles accompanied by the same 'thrumming' engine tone (on the A628 whilst driving from Barnsley to Manchester, with heavy sleet howling down horizontally). The car is booked into the Sheffield dealership for diagnosis and repair. I daren't drive it at the moment which is not what I bought a Volvo for.

Additional information: This car has a history of increasing oil consumption from about 50,000 miles to date, and it is now demanding a 0.5 litre top-up every 500 miles or so. I've been questioning this with The Sheffield dealership who have done all its servicing but have just been met with 'one of those things' non-explanations.

There is no oil leak visible, so I'm led to think it is being burnt, evidence the EGR cooler blocked with soot.
So where is it getting into the combustion process?
Possibilities I've identified are turbocharger bearings inlet side, inlet valve guides, piston rings, outlet valve guides, turbocharger bearing outlet side.

Any suggestions as to the root cause and how to cure the problem, not just treating the symptom would be gratefully received, because with oil the price it is I'd expect a fluid of that price per litre to be served in cut crystal glasses.
AlienInThisWorld is offline   Reply With Quote