View Single Post
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 17:01   #2504
belgian
Linje swart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
That is the opposite problem (sticking open rather than sticking shut) so maybe unrelated? Either way, why not DIY clean it again?

The VEA engine is a lovely engine initially ruined by reliance on high EGR to meet the Euro 6 levels for NOx, causing all manner of soot-related problems. Later versions (MY17 on) got AdBlue as a NOx reduction agent which must have significantly helped, as I don't remember seeing any reports of EGR/intake/swirls/valve problems on those later cars.
Good comment. I am also suspicious that maybe the EGR valve or cooler may not be the cause of this particular problem, as the car runs fine with no power loss or irregular run at all for the moment. That's why I paid a visit to the volvo dealer where I bought the car to have it diagnosed more precisely.

Their first reaction was of course to replace the EGR Valve and cooler at 1600 €, because the ones installed are still the original parts. The replacement parts are improved apparently, so they want this to be replaced first. If that does not the trick, they would look further. So I am afraid that no dealer will touch the car before the new EGR system is installed, so I bought the parts for repair by myself. Will reset the fault codes after that and go from there.

More reason to believe that the EGR valve is not sticking, is that you can move the actuater by hand without any hickup, when the cover is removed.
I checked MAF air flow sensor with my OBD2 unit, and seems to be working fine. Don't know what to check next.

Last edited by belgian; Nov 28th, 2021 at 17:06.
belgian is offline   Reply With Quote