View Single Post
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 15:17   #2503
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgian View Post
Since the swedish have little say on this, the group being under Chinese ownership, I don't expect Volvo to invest any longer in a long term relationship with their customers. If you know the chinese business mentality, you'll understand they prefer to take the money and run.

I have owned several volvo's to great satisfaction, but my latest Volvo 2016 V70 D3 150 hp will be the last volvo I will own. That D3 engine has the same EGR problems as evidenced in this thread.
EGR Fault code PD04D9 at 90k km. Since my volvo dealer refused to replace the EGR and cooler under warranty, because I serviced my car myself, I cleaned the EGR and Valve, and solved the problem temporarely.

Now at 143k km, fault code P00BC00 (MAF low air flow) with "reduced motor power" warning and the appearance of the notorious turtle of doom, I suppose the EGR has to be replaced again, so I ordered the parts already (1000 €).

What is really astonishing to me is that Volvo, in spite of several years of brutal warranty issues, they continued to install the same type of engines in their new cars, without resolving the EGR issue. That is p...g on the back of their loyal customers, if you ask me. The chinese won't make any euro of me again, whenever I have a choice of course.
That is the opposite problem (sticking open rather than sticking shut) so maybe unrelated? Either way, why not DIY clean it again?

The VEA engine is a lovely engine initially ruined by reliance on high EGR to meet the Euro 6 levels for NOx, causing all manner of soot-related problems. Later versions (MY17 on) got AdBlue as a NOx reduction agent which must have significantly helped, as I don't remember seeing any reports of EGR/intake/swirls/valve problems on those later cars.