View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2021, 12:21   #24
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Not directly related to the OP but relevant to the thread....

About 10 years ago where I worked acquired a business where they bought their company cars (rather than leased). A chap who worked for me left and wanted to buy his 5 year old Mundano which had 180k on it. We agreed that he could buy it for the WBAC valuation less £250 as it was due a service and had a short MOT (I needed some form of independent valuation for HMRC purposes).

Price obtained, deal done. Then 2 weeks later WBAC e-mailed offering £250 more... either their was a lot of "bunce" in their first offer, or they offered £250 more to get me to their lot knowing the chap would knock that off again because the ashtray was full or similar (or both).

There's a WBAC depot near work, at the shopping outlet off Jct 32 of the M62. Every time I pass it there's about 10 cars waiting to be collected - half of them are bangers which might be worth £200 more than weighing them in, but you often see Q3's, Q5's, Ford Rangers, Ranger Rovers, and work vans and it makes you think that someone's in circumstances so desperate they've had to offload their second most valuable possession at much less than they would have to pay to get it back again. I find that quite sad...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote