Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 14:32   #2575
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
'Morning, chaps; I hope that you do not mind the digression, Alan? Do say if you do.

I don't know if you have read the book (or maybe seen the film) A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman? It is uncannily faithful to the life and culture of Sweden today.

Brand loyalty is fierce in Sweden, none more so than that between Volvo and Saab. Ove is a Saab man, through and through. His friend and neighbour, Rune, is a dyed in the wool Volvo man. Despite that, they rub along for many years until Rune breaks faith and buys a BMW, whereupon they become near mortal enemies!

I believe from the discussion in your thread thus far that similar loyalties between the two Swedish marques exist in this country too, which a quick look at the Saab forums will no doubt confirm.

The film is worth a look, if only to see the cars in their home environment in period.

Regards, John.
Hi John,
This reply is from some time ago! I did come across the film 'A Man Called Ove' (I think on Amazon Prime) a few weeks ago. It in Swedish with English subtitles, but I really enjoyed it - what a lovely story.
:-)
Alan