View Single Post
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 16:50   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Back outside the house, I'll take some gory pics this evening when it's a bit cooler. No particular rush to move it on but it would be ideal if it could be off the road by the 31st to save a month's tax.
Now the quest begins for a replacement. I've had a '02 V70 which was no end of bother - mainly because it was an auto and highly specced with lots of electronic bits to go wrong. There's a 940 just up the road in Andover on eBay with Penta wheels (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304067921463) which is tempting but of course an unknown quantity and has what is hopefully a simple odo/speedo fault.
I'm guessing a V50 is a dreadful idea? In budget, ticks the economy box (1.6 DRIVe), plenty available, decent space.
I wouldn't touch that one in Andover with someone elses 10ft bargepole!

First those wheels are too wide and extend out of the arches, second, it has an aftermarket steering wheel which looks very nice but might constitute an MoT fail if it originally had an SRS/airbag, depending how fussy the MoT tester is and whether the SRS light comes on.
Also it's another 2.0 - if you're going to be commuting, a 2.3 is going to be more economical because it has a better power to weight ratio.

You guess right about a V50, in fact i wouldn't consider anything newer than 1999 especially a Volvo. Most that are newer are now getting to the sort of mileage where things go wrong and you'll basically be buying someone elses probloems because they've started so they've bought another car.
Older than 1999, most things have usually been done and most parts are cheaper as well so if you do need parts, you won't need to sell a kidney to pay for it!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: