View Single Post
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 21:17   #14
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Rouchy View Post
I just moved back to UK last month after 27 years in South Africa, why?

(1) There is a law going through parliament at the moment to confiscate private property and refusing to pay compensation. My wife and I owned a 2 acre small holding which could be one of the type of properties confiscated by the government. That when the wife and I decided to leave.

(2) Medical bills. Although we had medical aid, it didnt cover all medical expenses. I had a minor stroke and needed a CT scan, that cost me R11,000 or over £500, a visit to the doctor was over R500 or £23, medication cost me over R2000 or over £95 a month, a two week stay in hospital with pneumonia cost me over £1000. All of those costs are after medical aid paid their bit. The above costs may not sound much, but that was a huge lump out of my UK pension. Now I'm back in UK all of my medication is free as is medical treatment.

I paid my dues and served in the military for 20 years before moving to South Africa, I am not a scrounger unlike those crossing the English Channel who have paid nothing into or did anything for this country.

There are problems within this country, but there is nowhere I'd rather be. All we need now are politicians to do what they promised and get rid of idiots like the mayor of London, Sadiq Khan

The grass is not always greener on the other side.
Glad to see that you have returned to the centre of the universe (I am a Chesterfield lad - well Bolsover to be precise - although I dont live there now).

I agree you have done your bit having worked for the military, and that is a question rather than a dig, but I presume when you were non resident then you didnt pay UK taxes? I presume though that you kept UK citizenship so that you could come back though?

Welcome back to the UK, its likely to be a bit if a bumpy ride for a couple of years post Brexit but sure it will be fine in the end.....Given I am heading to retirement I am hoping its sooner or later as I could do with my pension pot not being decimated....
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote