View Single Post
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 10:12   #215
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
I think I've ironed out most of the creases now, but I still have a cold starting problem. My gut feeling is that it's a fuelling issue, as gaming the 5th injector with a couple of false starts before going for an a actual start definitely helps.

Fuel flow is strong, could I have an issue with the pressure regulator, or should I be looking at the warm up regulator?

Once it warms up a little (30 secs - 1 minute), I can stop and restart the car all day and it will fire up perfectly on a half turn.
A common cause of loss of fuel pressure while the car is sat is the NRV/check valve in the outlet of the main pressure pump. These are (or at least were) available from Volvo for ~£28 but when you can get a complete new pump including check vale from Rock Auto for not much more delivered, that would be a better option.
However i'm not convinced that would give the improvement you want/need. Do you know what the CO level is when warm? Should be 1% +1/-0.5%.
Before you check/alter this, i'd suggest setting the ignition timing to 12deg BTDC and treating it to some super unleaded (98RON) which should help improve matters in general.

There are a couple of other things you can do to the Control Pressure Regulator after setting the timing and CO correctly but see how it goes after you get those right. Also bear in mind it's not run for a considerable time regularly so it might well be in "shakedown mode" and things will improve naturally.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: