View Single Post
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 13:57   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi Dave,
Thanks so much for your input, apologies but I just can’t get my head around this, first sign of aging or I’m just dim😀
Adapter I actually have was from Dynamic Sounds, CT51-VL01, photo enclosed, apologies I haven’t worked out how to get larger photos on here yet. Hopefully you can see it has 2 ISO blocks to go to back of head unit, and 2 x 14 pin blocks with an offset side to each connector.

The harness Gavin suggested, Autoleads PC2-19-4 I’ve enclosed photo found online, but looks exactly like the one sitting on my table, with the 2 x 14 pin connectors??

The connectors on my harness from the car hopefully you can see earlier in this thread, are 1 x 10 pin and 1 x 14 pin, although the 14 pin is completely different shape to the Autoleads harness.

I have found on the USA site Crutchfield a harness that does ‘look’to fit, but I can’t see any UK based suppliers??

Cheers
Steve
Dynamic Sounds is the seller and a UK supplier, Crutchfield isn't a brand i've ever seen in the UK but could well be another brand of Connects/Autoleads, the brand of patch lead you have is "Connects2" which means if it looks the same as the Autoleads patch lead, it IS the same as Connects2 have bought/merged/been bought by/other option with Autoleads. I found this out recently while sorting the Steering Wheel Control (SWC) in my Rover to operate an aftermarket head unit (JVC) and needing an interface which just happened to be an Autoleads device. Just for fun there wasn't enough information in the Autoleads blurb about it to indicate whether analogue and digital 0V/earth were linked, what resistance levels it was looking for (the SWC are resistive on the Rover) and a few other things so i phoned the Autoleads helpline and was amazed for the phone to be answered by Connects2. The guy in the tech dept explained the "merger" and how they were the only tech dept left and as such were picking up the pieces from Autoleads. Sadly not much help with my initial query but he did give me a few pointers so i was able to work through and make educated guesses and get it working.

Anyway, back to your problem! Literally plugging the patch leads into the OE Volvo harness then into the head unit should work. You will either have a 4 or 6 speaker system, a speaker each in the front doors, rear doors for a 4 speaker and each end of the dashboard under the grilles on the top of the dash for the 6 speaker system. It shouldn't make a lot of difference in reality.

I would say plug it all in and try it, you should be pleasantly surprised.

The constantly changing electrical systems Volvo used and the bascence of reliable wiring diagrams does make things a bit of a gamble but if you can ascertain the only wires with power on with the accessories (position 1 on the key) switched on are the red (switched +12V) and orange (permanent +12V for the memory) in the DIN-ISO connectors and that the black wire in the power DIN connector does indeed give a 0V/earth at all times then you won't have much else to worry about.

There may be another (purple from memory but might be wrong) in the power DIN that is only live with the lights on, should also be a blue one that is fed from the head unit to tell the electric aerial to raise/lower (+12V/off respectively) which is switched by the head unit itself.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: