View Single Post
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 23:01   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler1 View Post
Car now been examined by Volvo main agent in Perigeux (France). They say it needs a new turbo plus DPF plus cat converter. Estimate 7k euros. Am I being ripped off? Problem is, the car is undrivable so I can't take it anywhere else. What I don't understand is that the car, when it was going and emitting lots of smoke for a while, had no shortage of power so can it be a turbo failure? I still believe its an oil seal failure but what can I do about it? Is it worth asking Volvo for a goodwill payment or a discount on the parts? Can I get a second opinion from a Volvo rep?
A Volvo dealer will always restore the car to factory spec and replace whatever parts are necessary to ensure that there are no further complications or damage remaining. If your car is under warranty or a company car - you'd love that. On a private car where you have to fund the cost - not so much.

It's unlikely that the DPF and CAT will be permanently damaged but you might have a smokey car for the first few miles as it burns the residual oil deposits off. You could ask them just to replace the turbo charger but they may refuse or decline any warranty for the work.

Now you have a confirmed diagnosis, you could take it to a independent garage and get the turbo charger replaced with a reconditioned one. Be careful when buying another as I *think* that turbo was only fitted to XC90 MY2012-2015 - i.e. the 200BHP incarnation of the single turbo D5.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Aug 17th, 2021 at 23:06.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote