View Single Post
Old Aug 4th, 2021, 21:01   #9
Joey99

I’m delighted to hear the combined failure is rare. I have had visions of the electric motor packing in every 4/5 years in which case this would be my first and last Volvo. The symptoms this time around are a lot less striking than the previous diff failure. Just a kind of a whirring rattle from the electric motor when engaged. At higher speeds it changes to a moderately high-pitched buzz whenever the accelerator is pressed (effectively just the low-speed whir at a much higher frequency). Over the few weeks since it started it does appear to have gotten progressively worse.

The guys at Spirit Volvo were great. I booked in for the inspection (no charge, so far anyway) and they checked it out. Tyres are nearly new Vector All-Seasons. Brakes are well looked after and there’s no noise when they are engaged (either when stopping or parked). Suspension is hunky dory. Also the noise is very clearly coming from the rear where the electric motor is.

Their two most senior techs drove it and checked it out in the workshop and were confident in their diagnosis. I suppose I can’t know for sure until the motor is replaced. I’ve been getting the car serviced there so between that and the Volvo UK records they can see the full history.
Joey99 is offline   Reply With Quote