View Single Post
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 17:32   #1
Joey99

Default MY2016 XC90 T8 New ERAD Noise

Hi, new member here. I've had my 2016 XC90 since January 2020, bought in the UK and ferried back to Ireland.

In Q1 2021 I had the ERAD replaced by Spirit Volvo at no cost (which I thought was good since the car was over 4 years old).

Ten days ago (19/07/21) I started getting an engine warning light and a new noise started coming from the ERAD. It is silent when accelerating up to 7km/hour but then a fluttering/propeller type noise kicks in under load which increases in line with engine speed until, at 30km/hour and above it sounds just like a soft whine whenever the accelerator is pressed.

Brought the car back to Spirit Volvo and they diagnosed a failed hybrid battery coolant pump which was replaced. Car was with them for six days over the weekend as the part wasn't available.

Now I have the car back but the noise is still noticeably present. My wife (who barely recognises her own car at the best of times) immediately noticed the noise so although it is soft it is noticeable and, increasingly, irritating.

Has anyone come across anything similar? I have to say that the car has run faultlessly apart from the ERAD failure (and I can't fault Volvo's handling of that problem) and electric power to date has been totally silent.

Is this noise the warning of further ERAD problems to come?
Joey99 is offline   Reply With Quote