View Single Post
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 11:04   #245
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Well, I got up early to do the PAS pump replacement and it was a lovely morning. Jumped into the shower and got changed into my overalls etc, opened the door and it was pi$$ing down ! As I'd be laying on the driveway I had to revert to plan B - electrical work that I could bring inside.

After fighting with the instrument cluster surround - that metal one - for about an hour, I finally got the cluster out and took it inside. Dug out the brand new speedometer and started to strip down the cluster. All was going well until I tried to test fit the new speedo... it doesn't fit! That is despite the description on GCP saying that it was for ALL 940 There is no way it'll fit - there is a section of circuit board that overlaps where the wiring connector fits into the back of the cluster. Bugger...

It was about then that I noticed that the original metric speedo I had removed didn't have the clear plastic part that I thought was missing from the other used MPH speedo that I had previously adjusted the mileage on. I dug out my other spare (you can never have too many spares lol) and that was also missing the clear plastic part... which means that the speedo that I have already adjusted/corrected the odometer on should be a working item...?

So I've fitted that one - I hope it works lol. I'll find out in a few weeks when I take the car off SORN.

With that resolved, I fitted the ambient temperature gauge that I've recently bought off a fellow VOC member, and also fitted the 'Turbo' tachometer with the integral boost gauge that was in one of the spare clusters. Result! I just need to get a bulb for the ambient temperature gauge and then I can put the cluster back into the car.

You may recall that I was also going to wire up the Low Coolant warning lamp. Unfortunately, my original cluster is missing the diodes/resistors that are needed to complete the circuit. So I'll wire the reservoir sensor up to a warning buzzer instead, along with a test button. Not the ideal 'factory fitted' option that I wanted, but i don't want to try soldering anything to a 28 year old plastic circuit board!

To round off the day, I removed the original blingy Kenwood radio that came with the car - I'd fitted that back in when I was considering selling the car, so I now need to refit the Blaupunkt DAB radio that I fitted last year (I know, I know...) and fit the DAB antenna for it. I also need to fix or replace the FM antenna as that has failed.

Hopefully the weather will be better over the Easter weekend and I'll be able to replace the PAS pump then, along with a few more parts such as the 'Celebration' spec faux wood trims I'm getting really excited to see the car transformed into what I originally wanted. In one way its sad to make the changes as this must be one of the most original cars left in this condition, but everything will be reversible.

No photos today sorry as my computer has decided it doesn't like my phone any more and won't connect to it... Once thats sorted I'll upload a few pics of the instrument cluster etc.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post: