Thread: G/box: TF-80SCAWD: - Gears "Floating"!
View Single Post
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 15:36   #1
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Arrow Gears "Floating"!

Hi All,

My XC90 D5 is the 185 BHP and has the Asian Weiner 6 speed auto box installed with 178,000 miles.

Last year I did a gearbox oil flush and (foolishly) reset the adaptations and since then I have had what I can only describe as "floating" when going into 2nd & 3rd whereby it half engages and then drops into gear when at low revs / slight acceleration.

it's irritating me beyond belief as it's inconsistent as sometimes it snaps into gear nicely and other times is worse.

I have gone through programming the adaptations etc with start-stop through the revs etc but it's still not settled so to speak.

Now if I drive in manual I get absolutely no slip in any gear at all and it drives beautifully so I'm thinking that there is possibly an issue with the oil/level/pressure in the system for the auto system to opp[erate correctly?

So my question:

1) Should I do another oil change and re-programme the adaptations again through VIDA again? Perhaps I used the incorrect spec oil (I'm sure I didn't but...)
2) Should I do a flush with a gearbox additive to clean the crap out of the gearbox (Liqui Moly Certec I have purchased with this in mind). Then refill with fresh oil?
3) Is my gearbox just dieing and there is no point?

Thoughts, please!

nigel.

Last edited by NMB; Oct 21st, 2021 at 15:36. Reason: typo
NMB is offline   Reply With Quote