Thread: B+E Licence
View Single Post
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 07:04   #28
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
The above is correct.

Also the 85% rule is not law in any way, it's a widely accepted common sense practice for sizing caravans - big, boxy, susceptible to wind loads.

The kerb weight includes all fluids (fuel) and the driver.

Also towing/weight offences do not invalidate your car insurance (the ability of a third party to claim).

Leaving class B calculations aside - it's perfectly acceptable to tow a trailer whose GW exceeds the towing rating of the car provided the actual weight is within limits - probably 40% Plus of HGVs on the road are operated this way.

Another point - VOSA seem to have some strange ideas from time to time and a frustrated traffic cop told me recently that they tend to subtract the GVW of the tow car from the MTW to get the towing weight - which could give a lower figure than the manufacturer. I'm not sure if this is quite true as I don't see how it would stand up in court.
Indeed they do, according to my v5 my xc70 can tow 1500kg, Volvo say it can tow 1800kg.
The 1500kg figure is arrived at by subtracting the kerb weight from 3500kg which is the B+E limit.

As I have B+E1 grandfather rights I can drive up to 7500kg and tow a 1000kg trailer or a combination up to 8500kg so use the Volvo figure.
My landrover is rated to tow 3500kg and weighs 2250kg which makes a train weight of 5750kg, well above the B+E limit of 3500kg.

As an aside B+E1 entitlement is removed at age 70 unless a HGV medical is taken, usual cost is around £150 for this medical. If I still have the landrover at that age I shall be taking the medical.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote