View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2021, 11:14   #40
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN7 View Post
I have heard (albeit a long time ago) there can be a lot of variation in the guidance that you get from IAM observers in different areas...

Telling people to drive at 60mph in 3rd gear at all times is bizarre and ridiculous though.

J
That was indeed so, James.

40 odd years ago, one joined a local group and received 'guidance' on observed drives from a (newly) qualified member until they considered one ready for the test. One then went out with the group's Chief Observer and, if they concurred, made application for the test.

On passing the test, one was then encouraged to reciprocate by offering guidance to a new associate member. While I subsequently took a number of people out, I failed with only one - a young lady who had just been awarded her first company car, a new Marina if I remember correctly!

She was required by her company to do the IAM course for insurance purposes - in much the same way as they also required her to carry a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher. Her heart was clearly not in it. She had little respect for speed limits and, like 'S60RDessign', found the sessions boring and a complete waste of her time. As 'MikeGMT' said, there must be a willingness to learn, and the right attitude is everything.

The model that I have described was very much 'of it's time', but, while it successfully introduced many to advanced driving, it could also lead to the inconsistencies in guidance to which James alluded. The IAM has been aware of this failing for some considerable time, and, in an attempt to rectify the situation, has tightened up considerably on the rules and qualifications required of all observers. There is now a formal training course and qualification which all observers are required to undertake, which should result in a much more consistent approach to guidance sessions. Please see the link below for more information if this is something that might appeal to you.

Regards, John.

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/campaig...comeanobserver