View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2021, 23:14   #37
MikeGMT
VOC Member

No wonder you didn't complete the course 'S60RDesign', with that sort of advice. From your post it looks as if you got one of the observers with their set in stone outdated views. I agree with John, Advanced Road Driving is anything but boring for anyone wishing to learn new techniques, at least it shouldn't be. As with learning any new skill, first you have got to want to do it, and secondly it should be done in a fun and easy going but firm atmosphere conducive to the learning process, leaving the candidate looking forward to the next session, rather than the 'thou should do it this way, big stick approach'.

I've never come across the '60' everywhere advice, and as John mentioned the correct gear is the one giving flexibility for the current circumstance. Feeding the wheel, or as Mr. Clarkson used to call advocates of advanced driving 'wheel shufflers' has long been consigned to the bin. Now you can use any method as long as it is safe and provides predictable outcomes. Myself I use pull/push (feeding the wheel) most of the time as I find it a smooth and predictable way of steering with a bit of fixed grip now and again.

It does sound as if you didn't have such a pleasant experience 'S60', and if that is the case I'm truly sorry.