View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2021, 19:36   #33
ilmiont
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
We use CAT driver training, based at Millbrook proving ground, for work.

Would recommend, but they're not cheap. No idea how much they charge for individuals, but would be interested to know.
Thanks for suggesting this, I hadn't found them before and Millbrook's only about 50 miles from me.

Their Road Driving Academy does look compelling. Six levels at varying prices; not sure if they need to be done sequentially or not:

- L1 - Advanced Driver Training - £550
- L2 - Advanced Control - £1050
- L3 - Advanced Performance - £1430
- L4 - Skid Control & Over Grip Limit Recovery - £995
- L5 - Optimisation - £1575
- L6 - Advanced Control Master - £870

The latter parts are explicitly about skid recovery, dynamics, precision, sixth sense and "be as one with your car." It looks like the most fitting option so far; thanks all for your recommendations, this thread is becoming very useful. Not cheap though (but then I don't expect this to be).

---

Generally - thanks all, seems we're getting somewhere now. Lots of helpful reading list material, video playlists and possible course options emerging.

@acshortt5 notes there are at least three different aspects of this, and two different limits to consider. Out of those 3 points listed (what the car can do, improve driving technique, improve perception skills), the second is the most important to me right now, and the third is something I feel like I have a duty to do. I'm hopeful the first might come about while pursuing the second on a closed course; to be clear by "at the limit" I'm more interested in limits of grip, than limits of fifth gear.

@DaveNP have looked at Silverstone track days previously but wasn't aware they did coaching too. 1:1 own-car coaching seems to be £849 for a day.

Website is a bit light on details of the approach used but might be worth an enquiry. I'm about 60-90 mins from Silverstone so closer than other suggestions so far. Normally trip distance doesn't bother me, but I am trying to allow for the possibility of being unfit for a long drive on the public road after doing an intensive course.

Not sure where Reg Local is based from his website but looks like it may be a very long way north! I think I'll spend a lot of time with the books and videos though...

---

Cats eyes - knew that previously! Can't remember where I first read it.

I didn't know Roadcraft had been watered down. The website shows major editions in 1977, 1994, 2007, 2013, 2020, so is 1994 the one to get?