Thread: Is this a scam?
View Single Post
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 13:38   #38
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
From experience some years back when my credit card got scammed, ActionFraud don't usually bother investigating anything under ~£2k because it's not worth the manpower and they are too busy investigating larger frauds. Usually if there's an element of insurance (such as the credit card company reimbursing the victim) they will issue a crime reference number and that will be about it, unless it turns up as part of a much wider operation based on many small-scale scams rather than one big one. Sad but true and the amount i quoted may have changed now but i'm sure they said £2k at the time.
I'm pretty sure you are right about ActionFraud Dave, I wasn't really expecting a plod to turn up on my doorstep to investigate, but I was a bit disappointed that there was no means to forward the scam email. It probably is worth reporting this stuff just to help build the statistical picture, but it seems so prevalent that only large cases are investigated.

It is hard to imagine anyone being taken in by a crude scam, but I suppose that must happen from time to time, otherwise the scammers wouldn't bother.

Nothing has really changed over the years, once it was door to door, then telephone, and now scammers operate over the internet. It is just human nature and will always happen.

Ho hum