View Single Post
Old Oct 16th, 2021, 21:42   #68
ferg55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
That's proven with the Skoda technically scoring higher than the V70 (adult occupant etc). Both have a 5 star NCAP rating, but the Skoda still edges it.

So there we go... a Skoda beating a Volvo in an NCAP crash test. Who would have thought.
The V70 outperforms the Skoda in all the NCAP tests except the side pole test, where the curtain airbags deployed late - this drags the overall Adult Occupant figure down. As per the test notes, Volvo tuned the airbag deployment then retested, but it failed to deploy correctly again. This has always disappointed me that there was never any follow up, and I couldn't find any press release or any other explanation from Volvo as to the cause, whether they agreed with NCAPs findings, or whether they eventually resolved the issue. For such a safety conscious brand surely this was an absolute clanger of a result, but I guess most people just see the 5* headline result and don't read the detail. I did when researching the replacement to my '04 Avensis (another top scorer for it's time), and decided to go with an S80 instead, as the NHTSA tests from the USA didn't reveal any airbag deployment problems with it, despite being identical to the V70 in most respects. Copy of the V70 NCAP notes below, does anyone know any more about this - Clan??

However, in the first pole test, the side airbags fired late which prevented the side curtain airbag from fully deploying, and the car was penalised. Volvo were dissatisfied with the performance of the car in that test and developed a fix for the airbag deployment problem. Euro NCAP agreed to a re-test on the condition that all cars were modified. Volvo have implemented the fix in all production vehicles and have recalled cars, telling owners to get their cars updated by their dealers. Unfortunately, the same problem occurred in the re-test and again the airbag failed to deploy correctly.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote