Thread: Amazon: - Amazon v8 conversion options..
View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2011, 16:02   #30
DQ81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1971 View Post
Looking forward to seeing how you get on. Got any more pics?
not as yet. haven't done much so far. just planning and buying the donor. It's going to be pretty simple. Main hassle is wiring as fabbing motor mounts and trans mount I'm leaving to a friend much more skilled than I! Decided to keep the autobox for now untill I can source a good Borg Warner T5 and I've chewed through the volvo diff (shouldn't take long )

Then convert to manual/Jag IRS rear.

I will document this properly for all to see, comment on, criticize, copy, enjoy, inspire etc.

The more I think about it the more I've concretely decided to have the Coupe be mostly stock, just a few tweaks, like removing the chrome along the rain guttering and widening the stock wheels with white-walls, other than stereo and a tach it will remain otherwise stock (and driveline of course). I want it to be a comfortable car usable on a daily basis and not lose it's early Amazon flavor.

The Combi however is going a more custom route. I'm pondering two door, def. going to tub it (so easy to access!) so I can fit a nice deeep 10" rear wheel, air etc. etc. That's going to be the monster. But for now it's only going on it's belly and carting me around tatty as hell on the 4 pot with lpg...nice and cheap! lol

Some more pics of the '62 as it stands now, which is exactly as it's been since 2004. All I've done is a clutch master cylinder refurb and slave adjustment, new brake line & replace the headlight switch. Obviously the outer sills need welding but that's IT. A respray is in order as well as door rubbers, trunk/hood rubbers etc. Had her up on a lift and everything is rock solid :

I see plenty of pics of Amazons on the web but this ol' Sweed sure does it for me stance wise, and I love the five-spoke Torque Thrust style wheels. That's what my Combi will get, they just look right. Though I want deeper dish in the rear, hence the mini-tubbing idea.

This is my buddy's '67 Coupe we just did, lots of welding, respray, drop springs which we compressed and heated, widend stock steels and he built a B20a for it, K cam, 2mm of the head, hardend valve seats, thinner B20b headgasket, Webber 38/38, 4-2-1 Simons exhaust (my coupe came with the Simons too, bonus!) and all new internals. Very high compression can't run regular pump gas, does well on LPG obviously. No overbore but compression is even in every cylinder. It needs tuning on a rolling road to get the last few ponies to come out and play but it pulls well. I'm just more partial to putting running gear in that's different and more powerfull before playing with it!

btw: anyone in the US wanting eurospec rear lenses I'm willing to trade.

Last edited by DQ81; May 24th, 2011 at 16:05.
DQ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DQ81 For This Useful Post: