Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 13:13   #19
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Headlights are normally attached to a backplate by means of the adjusters then the backplate bolts into the chassis/inner wing/slam panel area so if necessary, the headlamps can be removed and replaced without having to disturb the alignment. Either that or the headlights and adjusters are all part of one assembly that bolts into the same area.

You can see what i mean on the USA spec headlamp :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/86-87-88-...l/173772869669

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-US-...r/282676937485

Likewise on this European spec headlight.

If i'm right about the inboard pair of lights being driving lights, you can wire them to the existing main beam. If you were being fussy you could add a relay but the existing relay should be more than capable, after all Volvo designed it to cope with an extra pair of driving lamps and just used the same circuitry/relay for all models.

Someone on another thread somewhere on here suggested the diaphragm should be a service item at 24k miles so if you renew it and then order a new one, you shouldn't have any trouble. When you get near to the 24k miles, order another and be ready to replace it.

I noticed in an earlier post you mentioned using Vaseline - a better idea is silicone grease.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006O7HTDE

Not sure if yours has a sunroof but if so, tilt it and rub some into the seal and let it soak in. Wipe off the excess gently, slide the roof panel back and do similar to the front part of the seal.
Aside from that, use it to protect electrical connections (including the battery terminals), on rubber seals (including "O" rings) and wherever you need a waterproof grease.
Hi Dave,

I agree that is normally the way headlamps are arranged - so they may be removed without altering the alignment - but you may see in one of my other posts that it does not seem to be the case with these ones. Here is a photo of the offending part:

... you seem the captive ball joint is rivetted to the chassis, and the nylon bush through which it screws is rivetted to the light unit, so the only way of separating the lamps from the chassis is to screw the adjuster all the way through the back (well, that is the only way I can see, unless someone knows better). I think I described the solution as being rather Saabesque (not a compliment) in the other post.

It might well be possible to change the lamps with their sub-frames to a later type - in the fullness of time I might do that.

It looks like someone (maybe Volvo, or a dealer) may have added the fog lamps from early days, the switch (the one on the left) looks like it is designed to fit a 240 and there appears to be a little bit of neat wiring loom behind it:

Unfortunately whilst the switch works, there is no power going to it under any conditions, so perhaps it was disconnected? All 4 of the fog/driving lamps are controlled by the very scruffy aftermarket switch in the middle which is held in by some bluetac and has a permanent live feed, which is not acceptable. Having checked the original looking switch works, I'll power it from the headlamps and use that to switch the lights, then get rid of the ugly switch in the middle and find a Volvo blanking plate from eBay.

I'm not sure about keeping all 4 lamps - I think the outer two look a bit daft, and they well disappear when I get round to sorting this problem. I agree I won't need a relay to run just two fog lamps, the wiring will be quite capable of handling a little extra.

Thank you for the information about silicone grease - I did use it (I buy it from Screwfix, intended for plumbers but it would really well on motorbikes and cars). The Vasaline is more for items that need a bit of protection from the elements like battery terminals. It works well on door hinges as well, and stays in place for a while.

My car has a sunroof, which slides pretty well and seals up, I didn't know it might tilt, how would I get it to do that?

Many thanks again for your help and advice, I'm enjoying the Royal Barge project, it is a nice car and I think I can improve it quite a bit at almost no cost with a bit of work and thought. I have several threads running - to do with different issues, and I'm pleased to say contributors have been really helpful.

I can't put off walking Bob (the dog) any longer, we will have to brave this storm :-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Feb 9th, 2020 at 13:18.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: