Thread: Amazon: - New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122
View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2022, 18:25   #870
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
They do offer carriage for £60 Alan, i doubt you could do a 300 mile round trip on that amount of fuel with the current prices!

If i had the room, i'd be tempted but i don't.
Like you Dave, I'm tempted, but I know it would make no sense.

A 300 mile round trip with the Skoda towing my 3/4t trailer (so 60MPH maximum) would use 6 gallons of diesel at £8/gallon is £48 and take a day of my time. That much wouldn't be too bad I suppose, and if it was only a 100 mile round trip I might have done it.

There would be a bit of risk when I got it back here: it might not work and be expensive to fix, it might need calibration and so on. I suppose I could find somewhere to set it up, perhaps in the motorbike shed (currently full of pushbikes, larger tools and Volvo spares). The real demerit is: how often would I use it - maybe something like 4 wheels in the average year? I could hardly justify all that effort, even though it would be an incredibly cool machine to own.

I'll keep an eye on the auction - it ends at 10:42 tomorrow - so I'll try to stop myself buying it (even if it is still for a pound at the end!).

:-)