View Single Post
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 10:15   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I appreciate this is likely a difficult process for you, selling your late fathers pride and joy, and something you probably don't do very often (advertising and selling cars). Whilst it is one of the the lowest mileage late model Mk 1 XC90 for sale in the country (or in the top 10 in any case), you stand the best chance by a country mile of getting the best price for it if it presents to sellers as a low risk purchase.

The people likely to buy a car like that I would say would be safety conscious family owners who don't have the budget for a newer model from a dealer at say £25k+++. Hence a car that has un-diagnosed issues and some maintenance needed will probably not be considered by 75%+ of that market, and the remaining 25% will bid you down hard over the issues. By that I mean 75% of those buyers wont want it at all, even if it's cheap, they won't want or have time for the hassle.

You're clearly a decent bloke as you have been upfront and honest about it and gone to the trouble of getting an inspection - that's to be respected. But my suggestion to you would be :

- Get the stiff power steering resolved (if it needs a rack this could be a £1,800 job at a dealer, cheaper at an Indie). Tip - there is a Volvo process for diagnosing this using a pressure gauge on the output of the power steering pump - a dealer will be aware of this and have the equipment to do it. Halfords/Kwik Fit - no chance.

- Get the cambelt done

- Replace the cracked tyres with mid range good brands (i.e. not Landsail, Sunny, Avanti... something like Hankook, Firestone..), although technically roadworthy they would not be acceptable to any safety conscious buyer. I would not leave the car with mixed tyres on the same axle.

- If it needs a service within the next six months, get that done, Volvo dealers do an "essential" service for lower mileage cars which is basically a safety check and oil change - but you still get a stamp in the book.

- Get a fresh MOT, it has less than two months, and deal with any advisories that might indicate further bills in the next 12 months.

Now that lot might easily cost over £2k to get done but I think it will add at least that to the price you will get on a private sale for a no issues vehicle and you will know they buyer is most unlikely to be disappointed - which I think will mean something.

And yes you will see similar cars advertised at £15k, maybe more, but these are from large dealers who offer finance, warranty, part ex and buyers will view that as 12-18 months of no risk, fixed cost motoring. A private sale is not that.

Just my two penneth....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jul 23rd, 2023 at 11:05.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: