View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2021, 23:12   #16
Two340'sman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That was sheer bad luck with the insulator on the Bosch plug - chances are it had been dropped in the shop or somewhere between manufacture and purchase at least.
I had a set of Champion plugs once, lasted about 70 miles. Never again! Also known so many of them misfire from new in others cars that i wouldn't dream of fitting them to anything i owned except in an emergncy - which was why the set i had for 70 miles were fitted.

These days i only use and recommend NGK plugs, had a few "less than good" experiences with Bosch plugs and since i've discovered Honda PGM-Fi and its intricacies, have come to the conclusion that Bosch Jetronic and Motronic isn't as good as it's made out to be!

Sounds like some very useful mods on your Mini (a proper Mini, unlike the new one!), Minis aren't my thing (i find the driving position uncomfortbale) but if i had one i'd be tempted to do very similar but with the 1275cc lump rather than the 1098 and either a twin sequential choke Weber (32/34DMTL or similar) or a pair of 1 1/4 SUs, LCB manifold and a slightly sporty sounding stainless exhaust system.
Yes, standard Mini seats and driving position are uncomfortable. Actually my Mini has a 1275 unit in it now (from a Vanden Plas 1300, single 1 1/2" version). Not really any more performance than the 1100 (a particularly good build, which I still have.

I did have a Vanden Plas 1300 (twin carb version), beautiful car with all that wood and leather, would move quite fast too. Gave the car away, fool!
Two340'sman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Two340'sman For This Useful Post: