View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2021, 23:03   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two340'sman View Post
Hi there, I'd be grateful for some advice.

My 340GL manual has run well for years.

A few days ago I filled up at the local Asda Petrol Station, after a short distance the car was tending to stall and tickover slower than usual and rough, something like 200 RPM.

The next morning I started the car and again had the same problem I disconnected the fuel feed to the carb and pumped out about 2 litres of fuel. Reconnected the feed and car ran OK. The next day I did a round trip of about 10 Miles and the car was fine. However, today the car is playing up with the same erratic and slow idle.

I did contact Asda about the possibility of contaminated fuel, they responded on the day that I filled up, several hundred cars filled from the same tank and no reported problems other than mine.

I have checked distributor, rotor arm, air filter and for air leaks around carb. The ignition leads are fairly new.

Of course, MOT is due soon, so I need to resolve this. Many thanks in advance.
Take out the electric idle solenoid from the carburettor , pull the jet off the end and look carefully for dirt , I assume it goes ok once you get going and the trouble is only when idling?
There should be an in-line filter in the hose between the pump and carburettor , it was a service item back then .. be very careful when tightening the solenoid , not very tight ...

With the ignition on take the wire off the above solenoid and touch it back on and off a few times , there should be a defined click each time it opens and closes .