View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2021, 22:57   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two340'sman View Post
Yes, one change at a time. I had read that a faulty/dirty plug could cause bad idle.

Years ago with my 1100cc Classic Mini, I ran it for decades on Champion plugs, just for a change went to a set of Bosch plugs, immediately a bit of insulator fell off the plug. Amazingly engine was still OK after this. I still have the 1962 Mini (bought it in 1968) and put in a Morris 1100 engine, modified with 12G295 head, duplex timing gears and a single 1 1/2" SU, 3.44 final drive.

The car would easily exceed 100 MPH, still have the Mini.
That was sheer bad luck with the insulator on the Bosch plug - chances are it had been dropped in the shop or somewhere between manufacture and purchase at least.
I had a set of Champion plugs once, lasted about 70 miles. Never again! Also known so many of them misfire from new in others cars that i wouldn't dream of fitting them to anything i owned except in an emergncy - which was why the set i had for 70 miles were fitted.

These days i only use and recommend NGK plugs, had a few "less than good" experiences with Bosch plugs and since i've discovered Honda PGM-Fi and its intricacies, have come to the conclusion that Bosch Jetronic and Motronic isn't as good as it's made out to be!

Sounds like some very useful mods on your Mini (a proper Mini, unlike the new one!), Minis aren't my thing (i find the driving position uncomfortbale) but if i had one i'd be tempted to do very similar but with the 1275cc lump rather than the 1098 and either a twin sequential choke Weber (32/34DMTL or similar) or a pair of 1 1/4 SUs, LCB manifold and a slightly sporty sounding stainless exhaust system.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: