Thread: AWD Transmission: - Engine noise and odd Transmission behaviour
View Single Post
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 10:47   #1
AdzXC

Default Engine noise and odd Transmission behaviour

Hi,

2 months in with a MY XC90 2.4D5 2013 and I am having some ongoing issues which I need some advice on....

Since purchasing the car there appears to be excessive engine noise which gets louder as the engine warms up which is also accompanied by some strange transmission behavior (or at least I think it is). When cold the engine and transmission both run smooth but once it reaches temperature it gets really loud under smooth acceleration and settles down once cruising at 30mph. To add to this the transmission seems to hold onto the gears at a consistent RPM too long before changing up a gear. For example, the car will accelerate through 1st and 2nd fine (with a loud growl) but when changing into 3rd the revs will stick at 2000RPM before shifting up - A quick tap of the throttle and it'll change up instantly. Its almost as if the car needs to be floored in order for it to go through the gears in quick succession. I have tried flipping it over into M but noticed that the revs drop off slightly in 2nd gear at about 1500RPM and then pick up again - Too early for TC Lockup?. When cruising along at 30mph everything settles down although the car does feel a bit like its in a higher gear than it should be for the road speed with some feedback coming through the footwell.

This is now driving me nuts, I'm not sure whether the transmission is causing the excessive noise or the excessive noise is causing me to believe the transmission is mis-behaving.

I have had the lower Torque mount replaced with no improvement and the upper Torque mount appears to be in good condition. An axle ping issue was resolved last week with Loctite and all brake pads are at 11mm.

Unrelated but worth a mention... It had a swirl flap issue at the time of purchase so the dealer reconnected the control arm and reset the codes but it came back a week later so the ECU was re-programmed which I think has stuck the flaps open. I read the codes with an OBDII yesterday and the inlet manifold code is still there but could be an old code.

I'd really like to understand how loud these D5 engines are under load and whether my transmission is behaving as it should?