Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 14:37   #965
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
For that reason i think even with the 40 year MoT exemption, i think there should be a mandatory minimum safety check on 40+ year old cars just to ensure they brake/steer correctly and won't crumble in a shunt. Not necessarily a full MoT but a basic inspection to prove they perform the basics correctly. Most responsible owners will still put those cars in for an MoT every so often though, just in case they've missed something in their checks.
Interesting Dave. It turns out that the 40 year MoT exemption was an EU directive, so now we have left that bloc we would be at liberty to change it. I'm not sure I see any great driver to do that though, it would need some sort of concerted campaign (online petition, that sort of thing) to generate enough question time in parliament in order to have it debated and something most people agreed with proposed, then a vote for it, then a change in the law to delete or modify the exemption. I don't see any group with a strongly enough held view to make any of that happen, and parliament has bigger fish to fry.

I wouldn't be against having a MoT or other check for the RB or the Bloop, but all the time the law it is at it is I will not be paying anyone to conduct a test on either of them. I maintain the motor car and motorcycle both well, so paying someone else to tell me that would (in my humble opinion) be a daft thing for me to do.

Having a few perks from the government - such as MoT and tax exemption on two of my older vehicles - are things I won't readily relinquish. I don't think that makes me an irresponsible owner; I'm just one that follows the law.

Just my views.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Sep 21st, 2021 at 14:49. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: