View Single Post
Old Aug 19th, 2023, 15:42   #3
142 Guy
Master Member

Based upon the recessed door handles with vent windows your car is a 1972, not a 1970. Do you know what market the car was designed for? The Model number decoder would confirm the year.

https://www.140-klubben.org/en/infor...volvo-140.html

The model number decoder suggests that there are 4 left hand drive 140s
- left hand drive
- left hand drive not California
- left hand drive California
- left hand drive assembled in Belgium / Canada

I think the 2nd might be US / Canada and the third California only spec 140s and the first Euro spec. US and Canada spec vehicles got the side marker lights starting in 1967. Checking the model number decoder might give you some indication of the intended market. There may or may not have been a Mexican market model.

My 1971 142 E has the same style bumpers. Originally, the bumpers were a thicker aluminum core which is wrapped with a thin sheet of polished aluminum or chromed steel (I can't remember which) along with the rubber bump strip that your car has. Over time, corrosion develops between the shiny skin and the aluminum base and they delaminate and the skin gets damaged. In my case, I removed the skin and smoothed and then painted the base aluminum to match the color of the car. I suspect that this is what has been done to your car.

Your seats are correct for the car. The attached photo shows the 72 & 73 seat style. The style changed for '72 because prior to '72 the pleats ran across the seat cushion rather than front to back like in your car. The attached picture is for a sedan. The 145 received all vinyl seats and black was an option so the style of the seat and material are correct. They are in such good condition that I expect that they may have been recovered.

Your car looks amazingly well cared for and is a really nice find. The benefits of living some place that does not have winter where they salt the rods to reduce ice?

One thing to check. I can't see the coolant level in your coolant expansion bottle. When cold, there should be about 20- 30 mm of coolant in the bottom of the bottle. The plastic of the bottle also appears to be aging because of the yellowing that has taken place. Be aware that they are joined by a seam at the base of the neck and this seam can separate as the bottles age. Examine the seam for signs of separation. New bottles are available

https://vp-autoparts.com/en/artiklar...-140-1800.html

There are two bottles available. A Volvo OEM bottle and an aftermarket reproduction for approximately 1/2 the price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72 73 seats.jpg (107.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by 142 Guy; Aug 19th, 2023 at 16:12.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post: