View Single Post
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 10:04   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsiss View Post
I’ve already had it apart once to get the clutch working (avoid the S7 Mk1 clutches...they suck) still doesn’t work as well as it should as people have bodged it over the years. Mine needs the phosphor bronze bearing replacing as it’s able to flex the spindle back under light cuts and it’s out of adjustment (I could make a bigger spacer to go behind the nut).
THere's no clutch on mine, direct belt drive only. You're lucky yours already has the phosphor brinze bearings, mine is still on the white metal bearings (NLA) and some clever idiot has drilled through the top bearing cap and tapped it to insert a grub screw to push the white metal bearing closer to the shaft to prevent the spindle flex you describe.

I'm more or less decided on getting my current lathe projects finished and then saving up for something like a Clarke CL300, not the ideal choice but should be fairly well supported for some time to come and then selling my Myford for restoration. I know there are enthusiasts out there that would like to own one of the rarer Myford lathes (only made for about 6 months during 1943 as far as i've been able to ascertain) and restore it. For me that's not a viable proposition though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: