View Single Post
Old Jul 25th, 2020, 23:01   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsiss View Post
Good eye, I believe they are nylon filled with molybdenum disulphide. I’ve also seen them made from Delrin and other materials too (including aluminium).

The clamps can be made to any size, just turn them on the lathe, bore them to size and then mill the bolt holes, thread, cut them in half and drill the top halves as through holes. I think you can probably get them pre made as they are a common item.

I’ve thought of them for my 940 as I think the ARB is still shifting in the poly mounting bushes.
Thats what Nylatron is, Nylon with molybdenum disulphide in. Very good for bushes etc because of the slippery properties but also grips fairly well if machined to the right size.

I'm not sure about using Delrin, it can get errrrrrrrrrrrr a bit exciting when it gets hot, especially if there's any PVC close by!

I saw a heavy aluminium hopper fly off an injection moulding machine because they changed from PVC to Delrin and didn't purge it properly - the two mixed, got hot and exploded in the barrel, sending the hopper flying about 20' up in the air!

I don't have access to a mill although i'm looking at a milling table that converts a normal pillar drill into a (very) basic mill. I could easily spin some collars up on the lathe but the drilling/milling part is where i'd come unstuck. Hence my question about them being commercially available.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: